Saturday, July 24, 2010

Three Muses: Mail Art

This week Three Muses has chosen the theme Mail Art. I am very new to this form of art as I have only done two altered envies before this attempt. I am in awe of the artwork already posted in the comments section. 

Lack of experience was not going to hold me back though. Like most things I do these days, I threw caution to the wind and jumped in with both feet. I had a used manila envelope that had been written on with pen all across the front so the first thing I wanted to do was to cover that in some way. 

I first swiped it with Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink Pad and then with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink Pad. This gave the orangy envelope a nice green forest look so that set the tone for what I would do next. I found two ArtChix Images from the Gypsy Heart Collage Sheet I wanted to use. As I cut them out and laid them on the envelope I was instantly reminded of Little Red Riding Hood and so it grew from there. I found some great trees online and of course a wolf head that I printed and cut out, I used a piece the fairy tale map found on the inside cover of Jack Kent's Book of Nursery Tales, some colored pencils, a little more Distress Ink in greens and brown textured embossing powder. 

I did not specifically add places to write in To and From addresses but I did place the images so that there is a space to put them later.


9 comments:

  1. Oh wow wonderful mail art.
    Fantastic design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mail art!

    http://thethreemuseschallenge.blogspot.com/2010/07/three-muses-challenge-mail-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. I'd love to receive this post!!
    Hugs
    June xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a gorgeous piece of mail art, I love it, even though the big bad wolf used to be in my childhood nightmares, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never created any mail art myself, but I love what you've done with yours! It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you threw caution to the wind or we would have missed this little beauty of a decorated envelope, and it's too gorgeous for that. Thanks for sharing here at the Muses and I hope we see you again soon. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful--I would absolutely love seeing this in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous Marnie. Love it. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process in creating this lovely piece of mail art. The end result is beautiful, and a nice addition to our collection of mail art this week. Good work!

    ReplyDelete