Friday, July 30, 2010

Lots To Do: Shapes

Nothing like waiting until nearly the last minute to finish a challenge. This is not like me and greatly upset my structured/anal/slightly compulsive side. My only excuse is that I just couldn't formulate what I wanted to do until today, late afternoon to be exact. Then throw in making dinner and parade rehearsal for my daughter's dance company and there you have it....last minute entry!

I call it ..... "The Shape of Me"

I began with focusing on the word shape and what that means to me. Funny little sayings and quips came to mind. Remember the book "The Shape of Me and Other Stuff" by Dr. Seuss? That sparked the use of the mannequin shape which not only represents a body but also has significance for me in creative ways. 

Then I did a little research on sayings that included the word shape. I chose things that touched or moved me in some way. I varied the fonts for interest, design, and ease of reading. I printed it out, aged the paper with Antique Linen Distress Stamp pad then spray it down with a blending solution which I rubbed around with my finger. I coated the mannequin chipboard form with Heavy Gel Medium and while the paper was still damp I laid it over the form and gently pressed it down around the shape. Again using water color crayons I highlighted the edges of the paper and the form to make it pop. 

I covered an 8x10 canvas panel with a beautiful paper napkin I got from Sky Blue Pink using Modge Podge. After it dried I traced the edges of the flowers and leaves very simply with water color crayons.

I attached the finished body form to the canvas with Heavy Gel Medium and added my initials to the upper left corner.

1 comment: