Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New work as promised

I am super excited to share my first piece from the Strathmore Online Workshop Series - Doodles Unleashed by Traci Bautista! If you are in a rut, have trouble with abstract painting, have control issues, or just want to learn a new technique you have to check out this workshop. It's free to, so no excuses!

It took me two days to complete this piece for a couple of reasons: 1. This type of thing is way out of my comfort zone. Freely drawing anything goes against my sense of order. 2. I spent a lot of yesterday getting back into the blogger groove and preparing for all the new challenges. 3. Life, you know the routine...chores, dinner, business, dance (my daughter, not me), etc.

So here it is presented in stages. I am not going to go into too much detail here because if you are really interested in the process.....go take the class (nudge, nudge, hint, hint) :)!

Stage 1

 Stage 2

 Stage 3

 Stage 4

 Stage 5

 Stage 6

 Stage 7

 Stage 8

 Stage 9

Final Piece

Materials Used: Water color paper (10"x14", 140#, cold pressed), Smooch Accent Sprays, acrylic paints, DecoColor Opaque Paint Markers, Copic Markers, oil pastels, Uni-ball Signo Broad white pen, India ink, various size paint brushes, stencils, feather, small dowel, rubber bands, chain, clothes pin, and a paper drink umbrella

Process: building of layers with paint and doodling

Result: new skills and techniques, patience, and fun!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! Did you cut your own circle stencils? I love the zigzag inner edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet! That whole piece was a stencil I bought at the Dollar Store. Cool isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete