Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My first 4x4 collage swap!

You may already know I am pretty new to the ATC/small canvas world of art. In fact, I only discovered it a couple of months ago. Since then I have been stretching myself, stepping out of my comfort zone, and jumping in with both feet as much as I can.

I have created quite a few ATCs and have been fortunate to have traded for some really amazing art. I have tried one twinchie challege (the results of which have not yet been revealed) and now I am trying my first 4x4 swap.

I discovered that the wonderfully talented Lenna Andrews was hosting Roads + Paths: a 4" x 4" Collage Swap and once I read the theme I knew I had to sign up. You see one of my passions is taking photographs and I naturally have a tendency to shoot pathways of one sort or another so I felt this was a challenge I could definitely do.

I went through my albums, printed off several possibilities and finally selected 4 that inspired me. Each photo was taken by me personally in 2008 on a trip to New England. The quality of my photo leaves a little to be desired but hopefully you will get the idea.


 I printed them on card stock, cropped them to 3.5" x 3.5" then mounted them to 4"x4" water color paper.

Clockwise from top left:
Cog railroad tracks at Mount Washington, NH finished with pen and ink;
Sweetgrass Winery, Union, Maine finished with colored pencil;  
Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, Maine finished with card stock collage;
Stream under railway at Mount Washington, NH finished with water colors.

2 comments:

  1. Marnie, I think your first 4x4s for a swap are awesome! I really like how they came out, your use of meaningful (to you) photos, and how you did them so they ended up with a "frame".
    I also appreciate your very kind words! I will let you know as soon as they get here (may take a few days to FL) and then I will share them on the swaps blog with a link to this post!
    l e n n a . y o u n g . a n d r e w s
    http://creativeswaps.blogspot.com/
    For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.
    -- Vincent Van Gogh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marnie...wow! I saw these on Lenna's swap site and I loooove them! My brother lived in Maine for years, so they look familiar, plus they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete